TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - EPS research
People Seeking Info

Subject EPS research

Posted by JMartz on September 10, 2014 at 9:56 AM
  This message has been viewed 417 times.

Message The Honda S2000/early NSX electric power steering rack seemed, at first glance, the best choice to convert the Z32 to EPS. After considering the dimensions of both the ps rack and the space available in the car, I am a bit discouraged. The Z32 rack's diameter is quite small, even for a hydraulic rack. It passes under the engine, being mounted on the rear side of the crossmember. While there is plenty of room to accommodate the the S2000 rack forward towards the crossmember, there is very little clearance above, under the motor. The S2000 electric motor flange, smack in the center of the rack, has a diameter of circa 5 inches. The Z32 rack in this area is about 1/2 of that. Rack width, pinion shaft angle and lock-to-lock turns are compatible between the racks. To adapt the S2000 rack, new mounts on to the crossmember would be required (I expected this) but oil pan modificarion as well, that is, if at all possible.

In attempting to do this with the least effort, I am now looking at a steering column, worm drive system. These require de-hydraulizing the rack, which is a simpler mod than oil pan and crossmember modifications. Steering column systems are available in the aftermarket, NEW, and with all associated supporting parts as well as sensitivity adjustment.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.